The Provincial Lunatic Asylum [sic] in New Westminster was filled beyond capacity. More space was needed according to some. In 1904, the Province of British Columbia assumed title of 1,000 acres in Coquitlam. The site was cleared and regraded to prepare for construction of a new facility. The Province set up a temporary building in 1909. It was called Hospital for the Mind at Mount Coquitlam [sic]. Today the site is known as səmiq̓ʷəʔelə (formerly Riverview) and Colony Farm Regional Park.