The Chronic Female Building [sic] (later named East Lawn) opened its doors in 1930. For the first time, female clients were housed at Essondale.
Five hundred female clients were moved from the Hospital for the Insane in New Westminster to the Chronic Female Building [sic]. The first Nurses’ Building opened a month later. Severe overcrowding and absence of privacy would continue being a theme as the hospital expanded. East Lawn’s initial capacity of 921 beds was increased to 1,445. Some clients were set up in basement and attic spaces.