In 1934, construction started on Riverside. This building was also known as the “veterans block”. It treated people who developed mental illness in the war. In 1949, a new wing of this building opened to serve people with early symptoms of mental illness. The building was then renamed Crease Clinic.
Essondale Report, issued in 1945, called for the expansion of client sterilizations. It also suggested that many procedural safeguards be reduced. These practices were then expanded to those outside the hospital.